The Student Emergency Fund provides limited, One-Time per academic year, emergency funding for the University of Tennessee, Knoxville students experiencing financial hardship after exhausting all university financial aid assistance. Your application will be reviewed by the SEF committee and can take 2 – 3 weeks to process.
Funds may be utilized to help cover expenses such as:
- Essential academic needs (books, laptops, school supplies)
- A percentage of One-time / non-recurring medical expenses
- Childcare for dependents
Example of Expenses Not Covered:
- Tuition or University Fees
- UT Housing
- Meal Plans
- Health insurance
- Study abroad costs
- Non-essential utilities
- Parking tickets
- Costs for entertainment and recreation
- Non-emergency travel
- Legal counsel and fees
- Other non-essential expenses
- You must provide documentation to support your request. This can be electronic copies of receipts, quotes, bills, or screenshots of the product with the price included. Unfortunately, we cannot accept screenshots of conversations or an application without supporting documentation.
- Students currently receiving financial aid should be aware that receiving funding from the Student Emergency Fund may affect their current aid-year financial aid packages. For information on the impact to your financial aid package, please contact One Stop at 865-974-1111.
- Each student receiving funds for the Emergency Funds is encouraged to meet with a representative from the Center for Financial Wellness. If approved for funds, more information will be included in the award letter. Students applying a second time may be required to meet with a representative from the Center for Financial Wellness before receiving their allocation.
Any questions regarding the Student Emergency Fund can be directed to:
Office of the Dean of Students