Mental Health Awareness, Wellness & Suicide Prevention
The goal of this protocol is to foster student success and well-being. It was developed as a guide for faculty and staff in helping distressed or distressing students.
If a student’s behavior represents an immediate threat, CALL 911.
If the threat is not immediate, but are you concerned a student may harm self or others, CALL 974‑HELP (4357).
You may want to refer a student to get help if you observe the following:
- Excessive or inappropriate anger
- Behavioral or emotional change
- Change in hygiene or appearance
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Expressing unusual thoughts
- Exhibiting unusual behaviors
- Decline in academic performance
- Feeling uncomfortable or uneasy
- Feeling alarmed or frightened
- Feeling that something is not right
- Concern about student’s ability to function
- Worry about student’s comments or behavior