The Office of the Dean of Students assists students who are unable to attend class due to emergency situations/extenuating circumstances (i.e., medical illness, hospitalization, death/bereavement, etc.). If a student is physically unable to contact the office, a family member or appropriate campus official may submit the notification request on their behalf. Formal documentation/verification of emergency must be submitted with the request.
Short and Long Term Absences
The Office of the Dean of Students categorizes absences based on the following:
- An absence lasting no longer than two (2) days is considered a short-term absence
- An Absence lasting longer than three (3) days is considered a long-term absence.
Documentation must be clear and concise and submitted as follows:
- Medical – Documentation must be provided on official letterhead, signed and dated by a licensed medical or mental health provider, include the dates of treatment and student’s anticipated return date. Medical records should not be provided and will not be accepted as documentation.
- Death in the Family – Documentation should include an obituary, memorial service pamphlet, or other item that identifies student as related to the deceased and include date of expiration, date of funeral/memorial service, and the city and state the service was held.
- Military/Legal Obligations – Only military orders or court papers will be accepted. The orders/papers must be signed and dated by a commanding officer/designee/judge/lawyer and include dates of departure and return.
Submitting Absence Notifications
The request must be made within 30 business days of the absence.
Submitted requests will be reviewed within one (1) to two (2) business days, if possible. Please be mindful that unexpected circumstances do occur and can cause a delay in our review of the request, but we make every effort to process requests in a timely manner. Once the request and documentation have been submitted, the office will review and verify submitted documents/information. Upon verification an absence notification will be sent to instructor(s) via e-mail.
NOTE: Notification of absence DOES NOT excuse students from classes and/or course requirements. It is the responsibility of the student to contact their instructors and determine a mutually agreed-upon arrangement for all missed work. Final approval of all absences and missed work is determined by the instructor.
The Office of the Dean of Students reserves the right to grant or reject notification requests at any time.
If you have any questions regarding this request, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 865-974-3179.Submit an Absence Notification