As a result of our desire to foster a relationship with students and faculty, absences and excuses should be addressed directly with your instructor. If you were asked to complete this form please note the following:
An Absence Notification Request can be submitted to the Office of the Dean of Students for the following circumstances:
- Medical Illness (Non-COVID related only. If you need COVID-19 specific support please go to https://www.utk.edu/coronavirus/guides/covid-19-testing and complete the COVID-19 support form located near the bottom of the page.)
- Medical Injury
- Medical Emergency
- Accident (vehicle, skateboard, motorized scooter, etc)
- Death in the Family
- Legal Obligations
- Military Obligations
- Religious Holiday
- If you are managing another type of extenuating circumstance please provide detailed information of the situation
- Upon verification, an absence notification will be sent directly to the student via e-mail. The Office of the Dean of Students no longer sends communication directly to your instructors.
- The verification of an absence notification from the Office of the Dean of Students DOES NOT excuse a student from classes and/or course requirements. It is the responsibility of the student to communicate this absence with their instructors and to work with their instructors to determine a mutually agreed-upon arrangement for all missed work and exams.
Documentation must be clear and concise and submitted as follows:
- Medical – Documentation must be provided on official letterhead, signed and dated by a licensed medical or mental health provider, include the dates of treatment and student’s anticipated return date. Medical records should not be provided and will not be accepted as documentation.
- Death in the Family – Documentation should include an obituary, memorial service pamphlet, or other items that identify the student as related to the deceased and include date of expiration, date of funeral/memorial service, and the city and state the service was held.
- Military/Legal Obligations – Only military orders or court papers will be accepted. The orders/papers must be signed and dated by a commanding officer/designee/judge/lawyer and include dates of departure and return.
Submitting Absence Notifications
The request must be made within 30 business days of the absence.
Submitted requests will be reviewed within three (3) to four (4) business days, if possible. Please be mindful that unexpected circumstances do occur and can cause a delay in our review of the request, but we make every effort to process requests in a timely manner. Once the request and documentation have been submitted, the office will review and verify submitted documents/information. The Office of the Dean of Students reserves the right to verify or reject notification requests based on policy.
If you have any questions regarding this request, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 865-974-3179.Submit an Absence Notification