The 974-HELP referral line was developed to help distressed or distressing students reach their academic goals and to help maintain a safe community and learning environment for all students.
The Staff of 974-HELP Work to
- Create a safe and nonjudgmental place for students to be understood and supported
- Foster student success and well-being while meeting the immediate needs of our campus community
- Prevent violence, suicide, and substance abuse and encourage wellness and personal safety
- Maintain a productive and healthy learning environment for all members of the university community
- Educate faculty and staff on the signs of distress and the process to help students
Case management at the University of Tennessee is based on a collaborative process of coordination, intervention, and support efforts across campus systems. For more information on this approach, see The History of Case Management in Higher Education, a publication of the Higher Education Case Managers Association.